Dress In Layers. Wear warm, loose fitting clothing and dress in layers. When you are inside, you will want to shed a layer or two. Many new fabrics on the market are specially made for cold weather. Our friendly staff inside Mountainside Sports Shop (right in the base lodge) can help you if you are looking to upgrade your winter wardrobe. Woolen sweaters, turtlenecks, a warm hat and insulated gloves or mittens are essentials, along with waterproof outer garments, both top and bottom. Don't forget the long johns! Sunscreen is a must except on snowy days. Keep lip balm in a pocket and apply often. Pick up a pair of goggles at Mountainside Sports Shop; these protect against precipitation, sun and wind. Fleece garments, especially the new wind blocker fabric, are great for skiers.
• Don't wear blue jeans - they provide absolutely no warmth and get wet very easily.
• Always wear gloves or mittens no matter what the temperature is.
• You lose 90% of your body heat through your head; so buy a warm hat and wear it.
• A fleece neck warmer is a great investment in warmth and comfort.
• Socks should be wool or one of the newer synthetic fabrics that "wic" sweat away from the skin. Don't wear cotton socks because they get wet too easily. Stay away from layering your socks - layers of socks cut down on circulation and wiggle room that is essential to keeping your feet warm & dry.