How It All Began
Pre 1960’s – The Early Years:
Skiing actually began on Wachusett Mountain in the early 1930s. Adventure seekers of the day would take to the snow-covered hiking trails and the automobile road. Olympic skier Charles Proctor recognized the downhill potential of Wachusett Mountain when he cut the first ski trail on the mountain, the 1.5-mile-long Balance Rock Trail, in 1933. The Balance Rock trail featured 15-foot wide straight-aways and 25-foot wide curves. Proctor went on to design the trail network at Sun Valley.
Three years after Proctor’s efforts, the Civilian Conservation Corps made improvements on the Balance Rock Trail and added a more difficult run, Pine Hill Trail. While working on the hiking and ski trails in 1936 and 1937, the CCC built Bullock Lodge, which served as a warming hut for skiers and a lodge for hikers.
The trails and ski runs on the Wachusett Mountain Reservation grew in popularity along with the sport of skiing and many times in the 1940s and 1950s Wachusett Mountain Reservation was the site of Massachusetts Downhill Championships.
Toward the end of the 1950s, Wachusett Reservation Superintendent Earle R. Vickery persuaded the Massachusetts legislature to develop an alpine ski area on the mountain. In 1959, the Commonwealth appropriated $225,000 to build more trails, install lifts and add snowmaking on the eastern face of the mountain.
Follow us through every decade:
1960's | 1970's | 1980's | 1990's | 2000's