Environmental News & Awards
Environmental News- Read More
- 2003 Silver Eagle Award for Wildlife and Habitat Protection presented by the Time Mirror Company. Wachusett was cited for improving water quality in surrounding lakes, ponds and streams by its significant investment in storm water management measures. The Silver Eagle Award is presented annually as part of Mountain Sports Media’s Golden Eagle Award program established in 1993 to recognize the environmental achievements of ski areas across the country.
- 2001 Silver Eagle Award for Energy Conservation presented by Mountain Sports Media. Wachusett Mountain was recognized as one of six Silver Eagle award winners nationwide among more than 50 entries from 26 ski areas; including major western resorts. Wachusett was cited for having invested more than $2.5 million in energy savings measures since 1992 resulting in a savings of more than three million kilowatt hours.
- 2001 National Ski Areas Association Sustainable Slopes Marketing Outreach Award recognizing Wachusett’s outstanding environmental education efforts. In receiving the award, Wachusett Mountain was cited for “an extraordinary job of raising the visibility of Sustainable Slopes and communicating a strong message of environmental commitment to the public. The NSAA Sustainable Slopes program is the environmental charter for ski areas nationwide recognizing the efforts made through outreach and education, signage and printed materials, implementation of the charter’s Environmental Principles and raising awareness of the Environmental Code of the Slopes.
- In 1999, Wachusett’s commitment to the environment was also recognized on a national level as one of three finalists for the prestigious Golden Eagle Award from The Skiing Company. Wachusett was runner up in the category for “Overall Environmental Excellence” to honor programs developed by ski resorts that reflect pro-active environmental sensitivity.
- In 1992, the Massachusetts Audubon Society and Worcester Business Journal honored Wachusett Mountain Ski Area with a special recognition award for its innovative means of reducing power consumption through efficient snowmaking.